Home, Bathroom & Kitchen Renovation Trends for 2017
Caledon Tile, Bath & Kitchen Centre is your specialist in bathroom and kitchen renovations in Brampton and area. Outstanding service, craftsmanship, and quality are our hallmarks. For your bath, choose from a wide range of tiles for floors and walls, showers, tubs, spas and fixtures to suit every style and budget. The kitchen of your dreams, from a compact kitchen to an expansive entertainment centre, can be your masterpiece of style and function.
A June 2012 article in The Globe and Mail noted that according to the Appraisal Institute of Canada, “Bathroom and kitchen renovations are the real winners, providing a return on investment of about 75 to100 per cent.” Now you can capture that great return on investment in the latest trends. According to the 2017 Kitchen & Bath Design Trends Report, completed by the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) contemporary and transitional-styled bathrooms have overtaken traditional in design preference.
Based on this annual member survey, the NKBA expects to see these bathroom trends this year:
- Whites, off-whites and gray are by far the most popular bathroom color schemes. Blue is emerging, with younger design professionals leaning towards violets and purples. Stainless steel is niche and emerging.
- White fixtures are trending up; brushed brass and gold are emerging faucet finishes; designer faucet colors, while still quite niche, are emerging.
- Under-mount bathroom sinks are most desirable; trough sinks are emerging.
- Linen storage cabinets and wood vanities are the most commonly used bathroom storage solutions. Floating vanities and open shelving are popular and increasing in popularity. Toilet topper cabinets are declining in demand.
- Ceramic tile flooring is most popular, but high-quality vinyl appears to be emerging.
- The most popular amenities are in the arena of safety: comfort heights, shower seats, lighting in showers and no-threshold showers. Emerging amenities are smart toilets and toilet seats, music in the shower, easy maintenance features and radiant floor heating. Water-saving toilets and faucets are becoming more mainstream.
And these kitchen trends this year:
- Clean lines, built-ins, and simple door styles dominate kitchen designs.
- White and especially gray painted cabinets dominate kitchen color schemes. Blue painted and high gloss cabinets are emerging. For overall color schemes, blue as well as black are emerging. Two-toned kitchens are gaining in popularity.
- While wood cabinets dominate kitchen designs, metal appears to be emerging, most frequently specified by younger and male designers. Also mixing it up: materials and metals, across surfaces and as accents.
- Furniture-look pieces, rollouts and pullouts, and under cabinet lighting (LED) are among the most popular kitchen cabinet features.
- Quartz is the most popular kitchen countertop material, and trending up. Granite, the second most popular countertop material is trending down.
- Induction cooktops and convection ovens are trending higher and microwave drawers are outpacing freestanding or built-in microwaves. Steam ovens still represent a small segment of the market but are also trending higher.
- Use of technology in the kitchen is increasing. Also trending upwards: more Internet-connected appliances and docking stations.
- Interior barn and pocket doors in kitchens are trending up.
- Accessible and/or universal design features continue to trend up for kitchens.
If you have questions about these latest trends, want to learn more about our products and services, or would like to receive an estimate, contact Caledon Tile Bath & Kitchen Centre today at 905‑840‑4433 in Brampton or toll free at 1‑800‑265‑6672.